How do I file a complaint against my employer in Pennsylvania?

If your employer doesn’t meet federal minimum wage rates, doesn’t pay you overtime properly, or steals your tips, you have the right to file a lawsuit.

The rights of public and private employees in Pennsylvania are protected by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act. Employees have the right to a safe workplace, free from all forms of discrimination. They are also entitled to fair pay and various types of benefits, breaks, medical and family leaves, as described by law or agreed to in union contracts or employee agreements. Whenever your rights as an employee are violated, you have the right to file a complaint and your employer is not allowed to retaliate against you. If you have a work-related problem and are unsure how to deal with it, you should consider seeing a Attorney specializing in employment law in Pennsylvania.

How do I file a sexual harassment complaint?

Anti-discrimination laws in Pennsylvania prohibit treating someone unfairly based on protected characteristics, such as race, color, sex, age, disability, religion, national origin, etc. .

Sexual harassment is considered a form of discrimination based on sex. The same applies to the unfair treatment of an employee because she is pregnant or has just given birth.

Sexual harassment is of two types – quid pro caseswhen you are harassed by a supervisor or manager, and Hostile work environment when you are mistreated by your colleagues. Such cases can cause a lot of emotional pain and you should not put up with it. Just contact a sexual harassment lawyer to understand what are the steps to follow.

Under Pennsylvania law, you must first file an internal complaint with HR or speak to your employer. Be sure to complain in writing, as this could later be used as evidence that you tried to resolve the situation in a reasonable and legal way.

Your employer must investigate your complaint and inform you of their decision. If they don’t take action to remedy the situation, you can escalate your complaint.

A seasoned philadelphia employment lawyer can help you file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. Either agency may investigate your complaint and if they find your concerns legitimate, they will offer mediation between you and your employer.

You will need a tough lawyer, as it is to be expected that your employer will also obtain legal representation. Your lawyer negotiate a settlement to cover your damages. While you can claim damages for emotional distress for everything you’ve been through, you can also claim damages for lost wages if you were fired or forced out of your job.

Can I sue for salary issues?

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Unsplash

If your employer isn’t following federal minimum wage rates, paying you overtime incorrectly, or stealing your tips, you have the right to file a complaint with the PA Attorney General’s Office. . Your lawyer can also help you if you think your employer deliberately misclassified you to avoid giving you certain benefits. For example, if you work 32 hours a week, your employer may classify you as a part-time worker, when in fact the law defines this as full-time employment. You can get damages for benefits you were denied, and your employer will also have to pay heavy penalties for wrongdoing.